July 9–12, 2020
Boston Marriott Quincy, Quincy, Massachusetts.
The Boston Marriott Quincy is at the Rt 93/Rt 3 split south of Boston. The hotel is at the top of a hill with wonderful views of Quincy Center. There are several parking areas, including one very convenient to the banquet entrance of the hotel. The hotel offers a lap pool and whirlpool, a small fitness center, a bar, and a restaurant, as well as an outdoor patio area with fire pit.
Official Boston Marriott Quincy website
Check back soon for information on booking your hotel room for Readercon 31.
Arriving by Car
Both the hotel website and Google Maps have detailed directions for getting to the hotel by car.
For those of you with older GPS systems, set your address for 400 Crown Colony Drive. Look for a sign on the left pointing to the Marriott. Follow that road up and around the hill until it circles the hotel. The first parking area you encounter leads to a mulit-story garage, and is closest to the convention space. Continue around and you will reach the lobby entrance and the large above-ground parking lot.
Parking is free in both the parking garage near the Ballroom entrance and the lot near the lobby entrance. (This is confirmed, no matter what else you may read.) If the gates are down and you need to take a ticket, bring it with you and use the validation machine on the table near Registration.
Arriving by Public Transportation
(With special thanks to Readercon regular Liza Furr!)
Travel from the airport to the hotel is free; from the hotel back to the airport costs $2.90 as of 7/1/19. The trip takes about an hour and ten minutes. These instructions are good if you're departing from the airport anywhere between 5:30am and midnight. The Silver Line runs past midnight, but buses departing the airport after midnight might not be able to make a connection with the Red Line.
NOTE: To allow for delays due to current construction on the Red Line, please pad your travel time estimates.
- Once you're at the airport in Boston and have all your luggage, follow airport signs for Ground Transportation or for Silver Line. The Silver Line SL1 bus route stops at all the airport terminals. Depending on the time of day, the Silver Line SL1 runs every 9-12 minutes.
It's free to get on the Silver Line at the airport, so you can enter the bus at any door. Most Silver Line SL1 buses have luggage racks because they go to the airport, and even when they don't have luggage racks it's OK to take luggage on the bus and on the subway.
Here's a video showing what the Silver Line stops at the airport look like: https://bostonairportwayfinder.com/how-can-we-help-you-today/ground-transportation-2/can-i-take-a-subway-from-boston-logan-into-boston/# (to see the video, click "Have a look"; the stop is shown at 00:19-00:32)
- Ride the Silver Line to South Station. At one point the bus will stop and its engine will turn off, but you can stay on the bus when it does that—it's just changing to electric power for the rest of the trip. South Station is the last stop, so everyone still on the bus will be getting off there.
- At South Station, look for signs for the Red Line toward Ashmont/Braintree (that's the Outbound direction from this stop). The Red Line platform is one level below the Silver Line, and there is an elevator as well as stairs. The elevator for the Outbound direction Red Line will be to your left or in front of you as you get off the Silver Line—do not take the elevator at the far right end of the platform, as it will take you to the Inbound Red Line instead of Outbound.
You do not need to pay when transferring between the Silver Line and the Red Line. Depending on the time of day, the Red Line runs every 9-16 minutes.
- Once you're on the Red Line platform, pay attention to which train you're getting on. To get to the hotel you need a Braintree train, not an Ashmont one.
- Get off at Quincy Adams stop. (There are three stops with Quincy in the name, so it's important to pay attention to the full name of the stop.) There is an elevator and an escalator as well as stairs. The elevator is in a structure near the middle of the platform. This elevator's buttons are higher than usual but still reachable by most wheelchair users.
- Special directions for 2019 due to construction: Once you're off the train, go to ground level, go out through the fare gates and turn left, then exit through the far left doors. The doors open with a push bar; they're not powered, but they are usually propped open. (If you need an ATM, there's a Citizen's Bank ATM in the area outside the fare gate.)
Follow the brick walkway out to the street to where there's a "T" sign (a black capital T in a white circle on a pole) across the street from a Home Depot. (The brick walkway is fairly well-maintained. There is a section near the far end where the entire walkway is tilted to the side at about a 15-degree angle. Wheelchair users might be tempted to skip part of the brick by going through the adjacent parking ramp, but be warned there's no curb cut to get back onto the brick walkway at the other end of the parking ramp.)
Call the hotel at 617-472-1000 for a shuttle pickup. The hotel has multiple shuttles and only one of them is wheelchair accessible, so if you need the wheelchair accessible shuttle you will need to tell them that when you call. Then wait for the shuttle. It may take up to half an hour to arrive.
- To go back to the airport, follow the instructions in reverse with these additions/amendments:
- How to pay for the ride: There are fare machines located outside the fare gates, where one can buy a ticket for a single ride or for several rides. Two of the fare machines at Quincy Adams take cash, the other fare machines are debit/credit only. Be aware that wheelchair users may have trouble reaching some of the on-screen options as well as the insert slots for coins and cards. There's also a Citizens Bank ATM in the area outside the fare gates.
- Once you have your ride ticket, insert it completely into the fare gate's reader and then pull it back out after the machine reads it (or if you have a card instead of a ticket, tap it on the black rectangle instead of inserting it).
- The elevator will be ahead and slightly to the left; it may be hidden from view by a large metal column.
- Take the Red Line toward Alewife (Inbound direction).
- When you transfer from the Red Line to the Silver Line at South Station, get on the Silver Line SL1 (not SL2, SL3, etc).
- Getting on and off the bus: All MBTA buses have ramps; if you need to use the ramp to board the bus, go to the front door and let the driver know. Also, the front of the bus itself can be raised or lowered to make it easier to enter and exit even if you don't need the ramp.
- Getting on and off the subway: the Red Line subway is close enough to the platform that you may not need a bridge plate to board and exit the subway, but there are bridge plates available if you need them. To request one for boarding, you can either ask station personnel or find the station platform's emergency call box and press the "Info" button. If you requested a bridge plate for boarding, they'll ask you what stop you're getting off at and they'll make sure to have someone there to help you with a bridge plate at that station too. (To go to the hotel, you'll get off at Quincy Adams; to go to the airport, you'll get off the subway at South Station.)
- How to tell what the next stop will be: Buses have a digital sign at the ceiling near the front of the bus showing what the next stop will be. Subways have a digital sign at the ceiling near the middle of the subway car showing what the next stop will be and also the direction of the train. Unfortunately the next stop is only briefly displayed on the signs. On buses and subways alike the next stop is also announced by voice, usually as a recorded announcement.
- More information on MBTA accessibility, including guides on bus and subway accessibility features, can be found here: https://www.mbta.com/accessibility Unfortunately, not all subway stations have elevators yet, but both stations for this journey have elevators and you can use that website to check on any other stations you might be wondering about.
The Marriott offers all hotel guests shuttle service to locations within a one-mile radius. (However, if you have your own car, you will find even more dining choices, most of which have plenty of parking.) The hotel has multiple shuttles and only one of them is wheelchair accessible, so if you need the wheelchair accessible shuttle you will need to tell them that when you call.
NOTE: Please disregard the hotel website's general notice earlier in the year re: shuttle service. Shuttle service WILL be provided for Readercon.
Hotel shuttle schedule:
||Pick up at
|Quincy Adams T-station via Marriott Shuttle
||7am - 9:30pm every 30 mins
||Berth #5 Call 617-472-1000 Pickup on demand
|Quincy Adams T-station via Crown Colony Office Park Shuttle
||6am - 9:30am, 3pm - 6:45pm every 20 minsMon - Fri only
|South Shore Plaza Mall
||7am - 9:30pm every 30 mins except Mon-Thu 5pm-6:30pm
||Near Chipotle Call 617-472-1000 Arrange pickup time at dropoff
Walking Directions from Quincy Adams Station
This is a one-mile walk that is almost completely uphill. If you would prefer not to walk, a shuttle bus can meet you instead.
- Once you exit the train, go down to ground level. You can use the elevator located in the middle of the station, take the stairs towards either end of the platform, or the down escalator located near the inbound end of the platform (for outbound trains it will be near the back of the train, for inbound trains it will be near the front of the train).
- Once you reach ground level head out exit and out the doors on the left. Walk straight away from the train station along the busway. Continue the entire length of the busway/parking garage until you reach the road just beyond the station.
- Turn right, cross the entrance to the busway in the pedestrian walkway and at the light continue across the pedestrian crossing (note: the light is only 25 seconds long to cross the entire street). Continue walking on the sidewalk away from the station and towards another light next to the South Shore Car Wash.
- At this light, cross at the pedestrian crossing. Once across the street you will be on a triangle. Walk on the sidewalk along Crown Colony Drive. You will shortly cross a one way street. Watch for traffic coming from the right and when clear walk across the street and continue along Crown Colony Drive.
- At the next set of lights, cross the side street and then turn left and cross Crown Colony Drive to the other side. You will have 25 seconds to cross both streets.
- Continue to walk in the same direction and you will see the Marriott on the top of the hill as you walk. You will cross the entrance to 400 Crown Colony Drive and continue walking to the next road, which will have a sign for the Marriott. Cross the driveway and turn left to take the sidewalk on the right side, because the sidewalk on the left doesn't go all the way to the hotel. You will have to cross an entrance to a parking lot near the bottom and an exit further up along the road.
- As you reach the top of the hill the roadway curves to the right and you will reach entrance to the parking garage on your right. Continue on just beyond the stop sign and cross the drive. Enter at the hotel's Ballroom entrance, where Readercon is being held. You can reach the hotel's front desk by walking down the main foyer into the lobby.
- If you prefer to enter via the hotel lobby, continue in the direction you are walking. You will turn a corner and continue straight along the sidewalk. Continue along a fence and then the side of the hotel. You will then turn the corner of the hotel and will be at the front entrance of the hotel.